Thursday, October 11, 2012

Big News!


Finally, the information you’ve all been waiting for. After months of unknown answers and patience, I’ve finally received my placement information!


I’m moving to Ayutthaya (pronounced A-you-thai-a), Thailand, which is a city about one hour north of Bangkok. I will be teaching conversational English at a government high school in the neighboring town of Bang Pa In. My students will be in grades M1 (12 years old), M5 (17 years old), and M6 (18 years old). It's hard to believe that some of my students will only be five years younger than me. But they don’t have to know that right? 

I’ve heard great things about Ayutthaya and I can’t wait to tell you more about my new home once I get settled. Word on the street is that Ayutthaya has many wild elephants roaming the streets...

My job will officially begin the 1st of November. Since the month of October is a mid-year break from school, I’ll be starting at the beginning of the school’s second semester. However, tomorrow is the last day of my TESOL course, so that leaves me with 18 days before I can move into my new apartment in Ayutthaya. Also, because of my current complicated visa situation, I can’t leave Thailand.

So how should I spend 18 free days in Thailand…? If you know me at all, you know my answer is traveling, of course. I’m planning to be nomadic and take advantage of this time off and do some island hopping in southern Thailand. Once I start my job, it will probably be a very long time before I lay eyes on a beach or have time to travel again.  I’m anticipating having access to free wifi soon, so I will be able to update more in the next week. I have so much to write about my TESOL course and the past three weeks living in Phuket.

I hope all is well with everyone back home.  Check back soon!


1 comment:

  1. 'How should I spend 18 free days in Thailand...?'
    Not to sound cheezy, but I welled up with excitement for you when I read that.
    That's beautiful. Enjoy the travel bug; it will never leave you...

    ReplyDelete