Friday, September 21, 2012

The Crappiest Meal I've Ever Had


If you know me, you know I’m a sucker for anything I consider a "unique experience." When I was in high school I watched a show on the Travel Channel called the Top 10 Most Bizarre Restaurants in the World. I specifically remember liking this bathroom-themed restaurant and telling my mom at dinner that night how I wanted to go there one day. She said it sounded weird but I thought it looked fun. I honestly completely forgot that this place until I was walking down the street in Taipei, Taiwan and stumbled upon it. So of course, I had to go.


Modern Toilet is a restaurant with a toilet theme. Imagine a roomful of people slurping noodles out of toilet bowls, and you get the idea. Everything is based on items from the bathroom. The tile-covered walls are adorned with showerheads, while plungers hang from the ceiling along with fecal shaped lights. Everyone sits on a stylish acrylic toilet (lid down of course) and the tables are either sinks or bathtubs covered with glass tops. Rolls of toilet paper hang next your table instead of napkins. My dinner was served in a toilet seat while my drink came in a cute miniature urinal.  Finally, a turd-shaped swirl of soft-serve ice cream arrived for dessert atop a dish that looks like an Asian squat toilet. If that’s not novelty, then I don’t know what is.







 
Overall, the food was good and the restaurant was crowded. The most ironic part of my dining experience was that despite the fact that the restaurant was filled with over 100 toilet seats as chairs, the actual bathroom didn’t even have a western toilet. Instead, it had a squat toilet. Really? I guess they used them all for the décor…

So what do you think: weird or fun?


1 comment:

  1. i vote FUN. I also think you should have gotten straigh-up chocolate ice cream for the ice cream in a toilet bowl picture, but that's just me haha

    ReplyDelete