Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why Mai Pen Rai?


I’m sure you're wondering why I titled my blog Mai Pen Rai. What does it mean?

“Mai Pen Rai” (pronounced My Pin Rye) is a Thai expression that is elusive in it’s meaning but can be understood in English to mean any of the following:  no worries, it’s okay, it doesn’t matter, no problem, don’t worry about it, it is what it is, don’t sweat the small stuff, life goes on, there’s no use crying over spilled milk….you get the picture. You will often hear this expression when something goes wrong or someone looses their cool.

From my experience traveling in Thailand last year, I found Thai people to be incredibly generous and friendly. They are also very laid back, do not get easily agitated or angry, and are always smiling.  I quickly discovered that “Mai Pen Rai” isn’t just a commonly spoken phrase, but rather a philosophy of life. I believe this lifestyle is grounded in Thailand’s interpretation and connection to Buddhism, which teaches that it’s not worth it to dwell on something you cannot change, because your dwelling still won’t change the situation.

Being able to handle difficult situations, not fretting over trifling things, and an all-pervading cheerfulness are the trademarks of Mai Pen Rai. I find this attitude to be one of the greatest definers of the Thai character and one I admire most.  I definitely think I need a little “Mai Pen Rai” in my life.

While I anticipate that living and working in Thailand will bring many new challenges, with the right attitude I think I can handle anything. Here’s to a year of “Mai Pen Rai!”


No comments:

Post a Comment