Friday, March 1, 2013

Big News!

I have an announcement to make!

As this term of school came to a close, it was time for me to make a decision about my future life in Thailand. My current job contract was only for one school term, but renewable. Before leaving, I came with the intention of staying and teaching for 1 year. I always told people that my plan was, "If I like my school, I'll stay for a second term and if I don't like my school, I'll find another job on my own."

Well the decision wasn't easy by any means (you can ask my parents and friends how much they listened to me contemplate this decision). Despite the fact that I truly do like my school and LOVE my students, I actually decided not stay at my school for another term. It was time for some change.

So the big news is that:

A) I have a new job! And I start this week! I'll still be an English teacher, but working at a private English language school instead of a government school.

and...

B) I'm staying in Thailand but moving to: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Buriom Udomratchaniewet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

I'm not joking, that's really where I'm moving.

With 163 letters, it's the longest place name in the world! It translates to "The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, the abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

Do you know yet what city? Okay, that's just the official name. Thai people always just shorten it to "Krung Thep" or City of Angels. But you might be more familiar with just Bangkok, Thailand.

It's always been my dream to live and work in the heart of a big city and now is my time. Bangkok is a city of 11 million people and I can't wait to be one of them.

With a new job, new city, and new (awesome) apartment, I'm sure you can expect many more updates in the near future. I anticipate that my new job is going to be MUCH different than my current job, but I will be sure explain further in future posts.

And so, the Thailand adventure continues. I'm looking forward to sharing this new chapter with you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment