Monday, August 5, 2013

Stuff Thai People Love #2

#2. Plastic Bags

I have never seen such a bewildering profusion of plastic bags in my life. They appear to be an integral part of Thai culture. I'm honestly not sure if life would continue to function if they were abolished here.  In America, I feel like it's becoming quite socially unacceptable to ask for a plastic bag at some stores instead of bringing your own reusable bag. Here, they will give you as many plastic bags as your little heart desires.

In grocery stores in Thailand, plastic bags are used in pretty standard fashion, as a means for you to carry your purchased goods home. However, the main difference I found is with the street vendors and convenience stores. For example, if you buy a single packet of gum or a single juice box at 7-Eleven, I 100% guarantee they will put it in a bag. The street vendors really take the plastic bag love affair to a new level. For example, if I want a mango they will cut it up for me, then dump the pieces into a bag which is then inserted into another plastic bag with a handle. They also throw in a tiny prepackaged bag of sugar/spice to dip it in. My trick is try to get away before they bag the bag containing my bag of fruit and bag of sugar. Even your morning coffee is placed in a plastic cup and then in a plastic bag. Even the salad I often buy for dinner at the night market consists of a salad in a bag with a smaller bag of salad dressing which is then placed inside another bag with a handle. Again, a bag inside a bag inside a bag. Same scenario if you buy say...curry. You'll walk away with a bag of curry and a bag of rice placed inside a bag with a handle.

I have to admit, one of my favorite plastic bag trends in Thailand is the pop in a bag. They open up a bag, dump in a mountain of ice, followed by a bottle of pop. I know this seems very strange, but I urge you not to judge until you give the "bag-o-pop"a try.


Since I usually do recycle and try be environmentally friendly, witnessing this love for the plastic bag in Thailand is hard to watch. I feel a certain amount of ethical responsibility combined with a bit of social awkwardness about it. While I try to refuse the bag (or at least the last bag with the handle), I haven't done as good of a job as I should, mostly because I'm trying to do as the locals do and don't want to stand out/look like even more of a freak than I already am here. 



1 comment:

  1. Actually a bag of pop is better for the environment than a Styrofoam cup...the bag certainly uses less resources to make and if ice is absolutely required in your drink it may actually be the best option. Hey, we may even have a US business idea here!!! Come back to the US and we will turn you from teacher to mega industrialist! (wink)

    ReplyDelete