Monday, August 26, 2013

Stuff Thai People Love #4

#4 Straws 

In Thailand, every time you purchase something which comes in liquid form, you will also receive a straw. It does not matter what the liquid is, or what the size or shape of the container is, you WILL receive a straw. In fact, 7-Eleven has about 10 different sized straws that coordinate with different bottles they sell. Each and every liquid item gets a straw. It's like an unwritten law here. Yes, even beer gets a straw.

The straw craze is one of the Thai-isms that I thought was extremely strange the first few months I lived here. I used to be very anti-straws. I remember one time I told the cashier (in Thai) that I didn't want a straw with my liter sized bottle of water and she looked at me like I had three heads.

However, I have to admit I've converted to the straws. In fact, in feels quite weird to me to NOT use a straw now. While Coley was visiting, she made an interesting observation that using a straw does appear much cuter than tilting your head back to drink out of the bottle. Is the cute factor the real reason behind the straw craze? Nobody knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment